United States Department of Health & Human Services
Site Map    Responsible Fatherhood Grants    Fatherhood Home  
Promoting Responsible Fatherhood   Federal Research Site
  Marriage   Parenting   Economic Stability   Access & Support   Incarceration   Research & Evaluation   Program Development   Other Research Resources

Responsible Fatherhood

Healthy Marriage

Effective Parenting

Economic Stability

Access, Visitation,
 & Child Support


Research, Evaluation,
 & Data

Program Development

Other Research Resources

I'm a noncustodial parent and I can't visit or talk with my child even though I have a visitation order.  What can I do?

Although visitation is not in the same office as child support, the state CSE agency should be able to tell you who can help with custody and visitation enforcement in the state.  Family law, including parental rights, is under the jurisdiction of the individual states, and the Federal government cannot intervene.  State CSE agency telephone numbers and addresses are at (English):  http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/int/directories/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.extivdlist

(Spanish)  http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/int/directories/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.extEspanolIVDAll

A parent's visitation rights should be protected and children should have access to both their parents.  In nearly all cases, children who have the love and support of both their parents have better lives.  The Federal government provides grants to each state for programs to improve children's access to their noncustodial parent.  These programs include mediation, education, visitation enforcement, development of guidelines for visitation, and alternative custody arrangements.  It is up to the state to decide which services are provided and in which parts of the state.  Your state child support enforcement agency should be able to tell you about the projects in your state.  You might also check  with your local family or domestic relations court to find out if services are available to help to enforce visitation orders.

If your child's whereabouts have been hidden from you in violation of a custody or visitation order or you have other problems, the CSE agency can help you. Common issues:

These and other questions and answers are available from the Child Support Enforcement Questions and Answers Database

We store all answers to our frequently asked questions in a database.  You may search by category, keywords, or phrases.

Top of Page

Fatherhood Home

Site Map


Last Revised:  July 22, 2011

ASPE Home | HHS Home | Questions? | Contact HHS | Accessibility | Privacy Policy | Freedom of Information Act | Disclaimers

The White House | USA.Gov